The Women’s Committee was organized in 1937 by Mrs. Frederic M. Ayres and sixteen community-minded women. Under their inspired leadership, the Committee worked tirelessly throughout Indiana to spread the news of the new Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and organized supporting units in several Indiana cities.
Later, realizing having more local involvement would further help the Orchestra, they formed four City Groups: East, North, South, and West. These groups were formed to assist with the heightening and increasing projects done only by the Executive Board, the Junior Group, and the State Units. Early members warmly recalled enjoying close contact with visiting musicians, often greeting them at the airport and transporting them to their lodging.
Today, the Women’s Committee is known as the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra Association (ISOA). Our organization is comprised of the original four City Groups, as well as two State Units - Columbus and Wabash. Our non-profit organization comprises dynamic volunteers of all ages, skills, and backgrounds. The common thread woven throughout the organization is a commitment to the enthusiastic support of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, its musicians, and its five music education programs.